While doing the dishes I was listening to Npr and heard an excerpt from a talk by John Mcain. He was criticizing Barack Obama by speaking of his desire to redistribute the wealth. He did not elaborate on why this is a bad thing, but spoke of it as one might today speak of slavery. As if the evil so obvious one need not say anything further.
Of course, since he was speaking at a rally of fellow Republicans, that is how the issue is seen. Which I see as very ironic since so many of those Republicans are Christians. Have these people forgotten about one of Jesus' most fundamental teachings, about loving their neighbors in the same way they love themselves?
It reminded me of a quote in the book I am reading by one of my favorite religious scholars, Bart Ehrman: Jesus: Apocalyptic Prophet of the New Millennium
"What person with wealth has really, actually, loved others as himself or herself?"
- ► 2010 (126)
- ► 2009 (76)
- Art Show. Parents.
- The elite.
- urim and thummim
- Christians and the redistribution of wealth.
- I just read these lines, and thought they felt app...
- Homosexuality and Shellfish.
- a real life furby!
- funny video with a good message.
- riki wiki
- Grad School.
- What I want from a home.
- Hi Marissa, Hi Brown Bear. Hello Self. Hello houses.
- Yes for Marriage (for everyone)
- 'I will sleep through every single dawn and those ...
- One more thing
- vp debate.
- I came to know this guy cause he left a comm...
- Kari Jorgensen.
- ▼ October (33)