8.15.2008

literally

I have written earlier about the seemingly increasing and I feel unfortunate misuse of the word 'literally' so I won't repeat myself here but I heard two funny examples recently.

First was on an NPR Podcast. The show's host informed us listeners that their internet connection had crashed and so they were now 'Literally flying by the seat of their pants'
Is that even possible? And if so, what exactly is it that would be happening?

In reference to this phenomena I often make the joke of saying that I am Literally in Hog Heaven. NOW GET THIS!!!! Yesterday I actually overheard some stranger saying that. At first I thought he was probably referring to something relating to hogs, like being at a hog farm or something, but he wasn't! He was, in all seriousness saying something had literally caused him to be in hog heaven!!!!!! !!!! !!! !!!! !!! !!!! !!! !!!! !!! !!!! !!! !!!! !!!!!! !!!! !!! !!!! !!! !!!! !!! !!!! !!! !!!! !!! !!!! !!!!!! !!!! !!! !!!! !!! !!!! !!! !!!! !!! !!!! !!! !!!! !!!!!! !!!! !!! !!!! !!! !!!! !!! !!!! !!! !!!! !!! !!!! !!!!!! !!!! !!! !!!! !!! !!!! !!! !!!! !!! !!!! !!! !!!! !!!!!! !!!! !!! !!!! !!! !!!! !!! !!!! !!! !!!! !!! !!!! !!!!!! !!!! !!! !!!! !!! !!!! !!! !!!! !!! !!!! !!! !!!! !!!!!! !!!! !!! !!!! !!! !!!! !!! !!!! !!! !!!! !!! !!!! !!!!!! !!!! !!! !!!! !!! !!!! !!! !!!! !!! !!!! !!! !!!! !!!!!! !!!! !!! !!!! !!! !!!! !!! !!!! !!! !!!! !!! !!!! !!!!!! !!!! !!! !!!! !!! !!!! !!! !!!! !!! !!!! !!! !!!! !!!!!! !!!! !!! !!!! !!! !!!! !!! !!!! !!! !!!! !!! !!!! !!!!!! !!!! !!! !!!! !!! !!!! !!! !!!! !!! !!!! !!! !!!! !!!!!! !!!! !!! !!!! !!! !!!! !!! !!!! !!! !!!! !!! !!!! !!!

No comments: