1.22.2010

Hat

Marissa and I have this Hat. I guess it would be considered a winter hat or a beanie. Marissa bought it from a thrift store a few months ago. The colors and pattern is fairly unique and appealing. While wearing it I have received several compliments(about my strong calves.) Judging from the construction and style I guess it to be home made.

Yesterday on campus while taking a lunch break, I saw a person wearing what seemed to be an identical cap. I was a little ways behind her and from my perspective she appeared to be an older woman. Perhaps 70 or 80.

I caught up to her because I wanted to ask her about the hat. I thought maybe she was the one who had made both hats and that she would find it interesting to know I was the owner of one.

When I caught up to her I realized it was actually a twenty something Evergreen Student. I asked her where she got her hat and she said she found it and asked if it was mine. I told her 'I don't think so. When did you find it?'. She told me she had found the hat yesterday which caused me to realize it was my hat and that I had lost it without even knowing.

She returned my hat and said she had hoped that if she wore it around, whoever owned it would recognize it and ask for it back. That may or may not have been true, but it worked out well anyway.
Even though I hadn't known the hat was lost, I was very excited to have it returned. This incident caused an increase in the value I perceive the the winter's hat to have.

1 comment:

l i z said...

this story had a twist i wasn't expecting. how delightful!